Topic: Early Childhood Inclusion
A list of resources and discussions on early childhood inclusion, including a national inclusion position statement, blogs, presentations and other related materials.
Articles and Papers
- Early Childhood Inclusion - A Joint Position Statement of the Division for Early Childhood (DEC) and the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC)
Research Synthesis Points on Quality Inclusive Practices
This document provides brief descriptions and supporting references for the evidence-based and promising practices that support early childhood inclusion.
Research Synthesis Points on Early Childhood Inclusion
This document is a summary of key conclusions or “synthesis points” drawn from a review of the literature or research syntheses on early childhood inclusion. We encourage you to reproduce it for distribution and use it in a variety of contexts including professional development, policy development, planning, advocacy, and grant writing.
Why Program Quality Matters for Early Childhood Inclusion. Recommendations for Professional Development
Only a handful of states address children with disabilities in their early child care quality rating systems. As a result, few states are evaluating the quality of inclusive programs and services. This problem is compounded by a lack of consensus on dimensions that define high quality inclusion and a need for additional measures of quality inclusive practices. This NPDCI paper advocates for the need to link early childhood program quality and professional development, with a particular focus on how this topic relates to early childhood inclusion.
CONNECT: Foundations of Inclusion Birth to Five
A short video presentation on inclusion
The Right Stuff: Resources to Support Your Work
Applications of the New NAEYC/DEC Position Paper on Inclusion to Policy, PD and Practice
- Incorporating Evidence-Based Practice into Professional Development to Support Inclusion
- States' Experiences in the Development of Early Childhood Competencies That Support Inclusion
- The Right Stuff: Methods and Materials for Preparing Personnel to Support Inclusion
Planning and Facilitation Tools
Professional Development Activity: Looking at the Data on Inclusion
Activity Purpose: to share key research points related to early childhood inclusion; and, to facilitate discussion among participants on their reactions to these research points and application to their work.
- Measuring the Quality of Inclusion, by Sharon Hope Irwin and Elena Soukakou
- Christine’s Chronicles, by Christine Lindauer
- Real World Applications (of NPDCI Resources), by Camille Catlett
- Child Care Funding and FAPE, by Mary Joslin
- Inclusion in Head Start and Early Head Start Programs, by Dayana Garcia
- Data Talk: The Cost-Benefit of Inclusion in States, by Erin Barton
- Online Panel Discussion: QRIS and Inclusion
- Inclusion Benefits, by Camille Catlett
- Help Has Arrived, by Camille Catlett
- Short, Sweet, and Useful, by Camille Catlett
- DEC/NAEYC Leaders Share Thoughts on Inclusion, by Jeri Daniels and Sarah Mulligan
Universal Preschool: Reaching All Children? by Pam Winton
Are state-funded pre-k programs providing high quality inclusive options to children with disabilities?
Module 1: Embedded Interventions
Learn about the practice of embedded interventions to help children participate in a variety of early learning opportunities and environments promoting high quality inclusion.
Módulo 1: Intervenciones incorporadas (Spanish version of Module 1)
Module 2: Transition
Learn about practices to help support children and families as they transition among programs in the early care and education system.
Module 3: Communication for Collaboration
Learn about communication practices that can be used to promote collaboration with professionals and families in early care and education, and intervention settings.